We understand that children with learning differences, such as Dyslexia and Dyscalculia, require teaching styles and methodologies that are not found in a typical classroom.
The Roig Academy is among a specialized independent network of schools throughout the world that are designed for children with learning differences.
Educators at The Roig Academy have a thorough understanding of the learning disabilities that each of its students may be diagnosed with.
What is Dyslexia?
Dyslexia is an alternative term used to refer to a pattern of learning difficulties characterized by problems with accurate or fluent word recognition, poor decoding, and poor spelling abilities. At The Roig Academy, we teach our students to read, comprehend, and write through a structured, sequential, multi-sensory, systematic, alphabetic-phonetic approach to instruction. The school implements the latest research-based teaching and learning pedagogy.
What are the signs & symptoms of Dyslexia in children?
- The chid has a hard time reading, and tends to read slower than peers.
- Often comes across errors decoding words.
- There is a disparity between listening comprehension and reading comprehension of some text
- Often has a hard time spelling
- Difficulty recalling familiar words
- Issues with handwriting
- Often finds math computations challenging
- Has an easier time decoding real words over nonsense words
- Usually substitutes one sight word for another (e.g, a, I, he, the, there, was)
The Signs of Dyslexia in a Preschooler
- Often spoke later than most children
- May be slow to add new words to their vocabulary
- May have difficulty rhyming
- May have difficulty pronouncing words
- May have trouble learning the alphabet, days of the week, shapes and colors.
The Signs of Dyslexia in a Kindergartener
- May be slow to learn the connection between letters and sounds
- May confuse small words (at/to, said/and)
- May make consistent reading and spelling errors
- May have trouble recalling facts
- May be impulsive
- May have difficulty planning
- Often uses and awkward pencil grip
The Roig Academy understands that each child learns differently. To learn about how the reading approach used at Roig, created specifically for Dyslexics, click here.
Via: Reading Rockets